Youth Quality Care Assurance program is required for every youth wanting to sell an animal in the Youth & Dairy Livestock Auction at the Jefferson County Fair. Currently, there is a $3 cost for YQCA Face to Face or “Instructor-Led Training”. 4-H’ers may take YQCA through online interactive modules for $12. Youth must pre-register and pay with a credit card at https://yqca.learngrow.io/Account/Login .
YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals) was implemented throughout all of Wisconsin. Youth are required to receive YQCA certification to be eligible for the 2019 sale.
Project members may obtain certification through two ways:
- Online Modules: Project members that decide to complete the online modules to must complete a Knowledge Builder (background information on the topic), a Skills Lab (online interactive labs they will need to complete), and a quiz for three different topic areas. They will need to pass the quiz in order to move forward to the next section.
- Project Members that are ages 19-21 will only be allowed to complete the online module training.
- There is a $12.00 cost for completing the online module.
- In-person Training: The Jefferson County Meat Animal Project Committee will offer youth two in-person trainings. The in-person training will be broken down in two groups. The first group will be a training for ages 8-11 year olds and the second will be a training for ages 12-18.
- In County YQCA training opportunities are currently scheduled for:
- MAP Camp: Saturday, February 23, 2019
- MAP Activity Night: May 13, 2019
- It is highly encouraged first year project members participate in the in–person training instead of completing the online modules.
- There is a $3.00 cost for participating in the in-person training.
In-order to participate in the either of these events you MUST pre-register through the YQCA website at http://yqca.org/. Only those that pre-registered for the event can participate in the in-person trainings.
Youth do have the option to attend in-person trainings in other counties that offer them. Just make sure you pre-register for the event as well.
IMPORTANT – NEW THIS YEAR:
In order for the MAP Committee to verify that you have completed the YQCA Training, you must submit a copy of your certificate to the UW-Extension office by May 31, 2019. You may email your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or you may turn in a hard copy.
**YQCA Certification must be obtained and certificate received by May 31, 2019 at 4:00 pm for you to be eligible to sell in the 2019 MAP Sale at the Jefferson County Fair**
|Beef Representative, Adult||Scott Keppen**||920-988-2306|
|Beef Representative, Adult||Ryan Issacsen||262-903-4337|
|Beef Representative, Youth||Hannah Allen**||262-901-5242|
|Beef Representative, Youth||Trevor Messmer**||920-648-8695|
|Sheep Representative, Adult||Lisa Small** (Treasurer)||920-285-7204|
|Sheep Representative, Adult||Mandy Knapp||920-253-5761|
|Sheep Representative, Youth||Samantha Semrau**||920-397-8002|
|Sheep Representative, Youth||Jadyn Krause**||608-212-2161|
|Swine Representative, Adult||Tim Ball** (Vice Chair)||262-337-1147|
|Swine Representative, Adult||Rachel Thom (Chair)||920-728-5144|
|Swine Representative, Youth||Clara Ball**||262-949-4927|
|Swine Representative, Youth||Emma Statz** (Secretary)||920-988-8402|
|Dairy Representative, Adult||Linda Wright** (Reporter)||920-253-9398|
|Dairy Representative, Youth||Haden Hartwig**||920-728-1249|
** Terms expire in 2019.
The MAP Data Log is updated when documents are turned into the UW-Extension Office. This log is to help members understand which documents still need to be turned in.
|June 1, 2018||Start of the 2018-19 MAP year for earning educational points|
January 8, 2019
February 13 (Wed)
July 11 (Thurs)
2018-2019 MAP Meeting Dates
2nd Tuesday of month
UW-Extension Office, 864 Collins Rd, Jefferson
(Unless otherwise noted or publicized)
|November 1, 2018||Enrollment due for all returning 4-H members through 4honline|
|November 12, 2018||Beef Project Kick-Off Meeting from 6:30pm – 7:30pm at UWEX Office|
|December 8, 2018||Beef Weigh-in (9-10:30am) at Fair Park|
|December 14, 2018||
Beef WLIC DNA Postmark Deadline
Project Agreement Forms Due
|January 4, 2019||Beef Weigh-in Recording Errors due|
|January 16, 2019||Meats Judging Meeting (Carcass Point Opportunity) at 6 p.m. UWEX Office|
|February 11, 2019||Swine Project Kick-Off Meeting at 6:30 pm at Activity Center, Fair Park|
|February 13, 2019||Meats Judging Meeting (Carcass Point Opportunity) at 6 p.m. UWEX Office|
|February 18, 2019||Sheep Project Kick-Off Meeting, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Highway Department|
|February 23, 2019||YQCA Training Event – UWEX Office|
|Prior to March 1, 2019||Enrollment due for New 4-H Members to participate in 2019 County Fair|
|March 12, 2019||Meats Judging Meeting (Carcass Point Opportunity) at 6 p.m. UWEX Office|
|March 16, 2019||Project Learning Day at Fair Park in Jefferson|
|April 9, 2019||Meats Judging Meeting (Carcass Point Opportunity) at 6 p.m. UWEX Office|
|April 14, 2019||Sheep Weigh-in (1-2 p.m.)|
|April 15, 2019||All 4-H project changes MUST be made in 4honline|
|April 19, 2019||
Sheep & Swine DNA Postmark Deadline
Project Agreement Forms Due
|May 3, 2019||Sheep & Swine Recording Errors Due|
|May 13, 2019||Record Book Training at 6 p.m. UWEX Office|
|May 13, 2019||YQCA Activity at UWEX Office 6:30 pm|
|May 31, 2019||Point Cards & YQCA Certificate due to UWEX by 4 p.m.|
|June 7, 2019||Buyer Cards due to UWEX|
|Early June 2019||Youth notified of sale eligibility by letter from MAP Committee.|
|June 14, 2019||Buyer Packets Mailed|
|July 9, 2019||Grading, Weigh-ins & Ultrasound at Fair|
|July 10-14, 2019||Jefferson County Fair|
|July 13, 2019||MAP Sale at Fair|
|July 29, 2019||MAP Awards Night at 6:30 p.m. at Fair Park, MAP Building|
|July 31, 2019||Thank You Notes Due to UWEX by 4:00pm|
|September 6, 2019||Project Record Books due by 4 pm to UWEX Office|
- 2018-2019 Point Card (Due to UW-Extension Office on May 31, 2019)
**Educational Point Card runs from June 1, 2018 – May 31, 2019. **
- Completed educational point cards must be turned in by May 31, 2019 to the UWEX Office by 4:00 pm. Point cards received in the drop box after 4 p.m. will be considered late.
- See Educational Point Card for point values.
- Please be sure that everything you put on the card is pre-approved, signed and legible. Dairy related clinics and judging do not count.
- Members in grades 3rd – 8th must earn at least four points.
- Members in grades 9th – 12th must earn at least six points.
- All members must be YQCA certified.
- All members must obtain one carcass educational point; grade 13 members are exempt.
- Grade 13 Project members are exempt from the educational point card requirements.
- Youth that serve on the MAP Committee are exempt from completing the educational point card but are still required to complete the mandatory points such as the carcass educational and YQCA certification.
Other Opportunities for Points
Events not listed on the point card must be pre-approved by the committee in order for them to count as points. Please contact the committee chairperson or the Extension Office before the monthly committee meeting to have your event approved. All educational points must be completed and approved by May 31, 2019.
Dairy Judging, World Dairy Expo, Dairy Bowl and Project Animal Sales are a few items that are not included and do not count for points in the MAP Project.
Signatures on Point Cards:
- All MAP Committee members may sign point cards. At MAP sponsored events, MAP Committee members will stamp point cards with the MAP approved stamp and initial/date the card at the end of the event.
- For any other even that is pre-approved, please have a presenter or coordinator from the event clearly print their name and sign it. We would appreciate them adding a phone number also so that the event may be verified.
- Herd Management: Signature should be a club project leader, club general leader or MAP Committee member that has verified requirements. A child’s parent may not sign their point card for herd management.
- MAP Committee adult members will verify points and signatures as cards are turned in at their next scheduled meeting.
- YQCA Certification is required to sell in the sale but is not required as a point requirement for the card/project.
- No youth should sign their own point card.
- If you were in the MAP Project last year, you must have completed a record book by September 7, 2018.
- If you sign a MAP member agreement and identify an animal either at a weigh-in or through DNA tag option, you are considered an active member of the MAP Project and must turn in a record book by September 6, 2019. Even if your identified animal(s) is not shown at the 2019 Fair and/or sold in the 2019 MAP Sale you must still turn in a record book.
- Your required record book must be completed for the animal you sold in the MAP Sale. If you did not sell in the 2019 MAP Sale, your record book can be completed for any animal you identified. It is not required that you create a record book for each animal or each specie you exhibited; only 1 record book is required.
- Record books must be turned in complete. If your record book is deemed incomplete, the MAP Committee will review your record book as a committee. Members who turn in record books that are not complete will sell at the END OF THE SALE. Examples of an incomplete record books may include but are not limited to:
- Must contain ALL required signatures.
- All information must be completed (all filled in).
- Written information must be legible.
- If you score a 15 or under, your record book will be considered incomplete.
- Record Books for 2018-2019 are due September 6, 2019 by 4 pm.
- Record books will be judged only by adult committee members.
Record Books (All record books due to UW-Extension Office by 4 p.m. on Sept. 6, 2019)
It is the member’s responsibility to talk with prospective buyers and invite them to attend the sale. Each member planning to participate in the meat animal project sale is encouraged to promote the MAP sale by turning in signed buyer cards to the UW-Extension Office by June 7, 2019.
- 2019 MAP Buyer Card (Due to UW-Extension Office on June 7, 2019)
- 2019 MAP Sale Brochure (Coming Soon!)
Prior Years Sale Catalogs:
The Meat Animal Project Committee receives educational support from the 4-H Youth Development Agent and the UW-Extension, Jefferson County Office, 864 Collins Road, Jefferson, WI 53549. When you have any questions regarding your meat animal project, contact one of the committee members or the UW-Extension Office. The UW-Extension office may choose to contact a committee member with your question. Your UW-Extension contact is Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the office at 920-674-7297.