Thank you to the generous contributors to the Jefferson County MAP Youth Member Fund!
A special thank you to the folks below who contributed to a fund that will be split among youth members in the MAP project that completed all the requirements to help with the costs of their project in 2020.
American Family Insurance – Lake Mills
Anew Insurance Agency
Banco Insurance Agency
Bank First – Watertown
Bill & Becky Hulstein Family
BMO Harris Bank
Broedlow CPA Services, LLC
Complete Feed Service
Dettmann Dairy Farms
Dodge Concrete, Inc
Dolph Dairy LLC
First Citizens State Bank
Fort Community Credit Union
Gallitz Grading, Inc
Grand Oaks Farm
Highway Crest Farm
Insight FS – Ixonia
Jacobson Crane Service
Jefferson Veterinary Clinic
Mike & Sarah Walter
Randy Schopen Foundation
Seven Star Farm
The Corral Trailer Sales
The Scharine Group Inc
TVL Trucking Inc.
Vita Plus – Lake Mills
- Beef – In the beef project you can learn how to select market quality animals, select proper feed, identify different beef breeds, and gain herd management skills. You will also have the chance to learn about carcass value on market beef. This project is filled with many hands-on activities.
- Sheep – The sheep project allows members to identify sheep breeds and body parts, observe sheep behavior, and identify uses of wool and other by-products. Project members will learn how to select desirable sheep and how to fit and show sheep.
- Swine – Enjoy learning about different swine breeds, anatomy of swine, and how to select the correct feed for swine. Also, in this project members will have a chance to practice judging market hogs.
Beef Project News: (Was emailed out in late November)
The Meat Animal Project (MAP) beef project is off and running for the 2020-21 year! Below are highlights to some of the information that was covered during the Kick-Off meetings. Please make sure you review your handbook, etc. so that you are informed of all project changes/requirements.
If you missed the kick-off meetings, please make sure you closely review all the information! We are asking all members to be vigilant about monitoring their emails during the project year since we are relying heavily on email communication during this COVID time! Please also utilize the MAP website as we are updating that regularly with project information! We will also be posted information on the Facebook page!
- Beef Project Kick-off Meetings – are completed for the year. If you missed them, you may review the PowerPoint slides here (click ‘open in Google Slides’ to view powerpoint notes).
- Project Agreement – All beef project agreement forms will be submitted electronically through Seamless Docs. Please complete this form as soon as possible so that we can make sure you are receiving all project updates. (Deadline for completion is January 4.) Here is the link: https://jeffersonco.seamlessdocs.com/f/ux9tti8q8baa
- Beef Project Initial Weigh In – has been cancelled. All members will be required to identify their animal(s) through DNA.
- To request your DNA packet:
- Please complete the MAP Beef DNA Pick-Up form.
- Orders may be picked up during office hours between 8-4:30 p.m. by calling ahead to 920-674-7295 to set up an appointment OR
- November 23rd from 4:00pm-6:00pm, December 1 from 4:00pm-6:00pm or December 12 from 3:00pm-5:00pm.
- DNA Kits are $11 per kit. Exact cash or check are required. Credit cards will NOT be accepted. Make checks out to: Meat Animal Project.
- Deadline is January 4, 2021. Note: Extension Office will be closed for December 23-January 1. Please plan ahead!
- Please complete the MAP Beef DNA Pick-Up form.
- To request your DNA packet:
- Jelli’s Market Scale Opportunity – Jelli’s Market has generously allowed members to weigh in their beef animals from 9 am- 12 pm on December 12th. Keep in mind, this is NOT an Extension or 4-H sanctioned event. No one from MAP will be recording weights or using this as an official weigh-in. In addition, you will have no assistance from Jelli’s staff to use the equipment.
- Project Handbook, By-laws, Record Books (coming soon) – these can all be found at the MAP Project webpage on the Extension, Jefferson County website. You may print off your copy from the website. If you would like hard copies of any of the information, please send firstname.lastname@example.org an email and set up a time for pick-up.
- Point Cards – Point cards can be found on the website at: https://jefferson.extension.wisc.edu/files/2020/10/2020-21-Point-Card.docx.pdf
- You may print off your point card from the website and keep track of your points. Signatures will be provided by the Extension Office from attendance records for virtual meetings that you attend.
- If you would like a printed copy of the point card, please contact the Extension Office at 920-674-7295 to set up an appointment to pick one up.
- Carcass Point – every member will be required to obtain a carcass point (except 13th grade). There are 4 opportunities planned: January 12, February 9, March 9 and April 13. All meetings will be held at 6 p.m. Please plan ahead to attend one of these opportunities.
- YQCA – There will not be any in-person YQCA training classes offered in Jefferson County this year. All members must complete the training online to be eligible to sell in the 2021 Youth Dairy and Livestock Auction. PLEASE remember to do this training early. You do not need to wait until the last minute and risk missing a deadline J Please go to the website for further instruction for completing YQCA
- The committee does NOT anticipate lowering the required points. Please do not wait until the end to get your points!
- Point Cards and YQCA certificates are due to the Extension Office May 28 by 4 p.m.
- MAP Data Log – The Extension Office will again maintain a MAP Project data log for items that are turned into our office. PLEASE make sure to review this regularly to make sure all your information is correct and up to date. Also, please provide us enough time to get this updated at a deadline! If you see a mistake or are questioning something, please reach out to the Extension Office at 920-674-7295. You may find the MAP Data Log through this link.
- Buyer Cards – New for this year! Each youth will be required to turn in 2 buyer cards this year. These are due by May 28 at 4 p.m. If you have questions or need assistance with your beef project, please feel free to reach out to one of your MAP Beef Representatives. They may be contacted at their phone numbers below.
- Scott Keppen, Vice Chair, Adult Beef Rep; 920-988-2306
- Justin Thom, Chair, Adult Beef Rep; 262-490-1313
- Morgan Bauer, Beef Youth Rep; 916-308-8933
- Anna Koehler, Beef Youth Rep; 920-728-6040
YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals) is required throughout all of Wisconsin. Youth are required to receive YQCA certification to be eligible for the 2021 sale.
**NEW for 2020-2021: There will not be an opportunity to complete the YQCA certification in person due to uncertainties with COVID-19 and meeting size requirements. Youth are encouraged to complete the online modules (detailed below) as soon as possible.
In the online version, the youth exhibitor will complete three interactive online modules and corresponding quizzes. The modules will provide new information every year. The modules take roughly 60 minutes to complete each year.
- Online modules cost $12.00 to complete.
- Youth must register and pay for YQCA at http://yqca.org and follow the step by step instructions. Youth in 4-H must sign in with their 4honline account. Youth in FFA or Other Youth Organization must use the FFA or Independent sign in option.
- Project Members must complete:
- Knowledge Builder (background information on the topic)
- Skills Lab (online interactive labs)
- A Quiz for three different topic areas
- Quizzes need to be passed before moving forward to next section.
- If a section is failed, the member will have to wait 20-30 minutes before retaking.
- Once the knowledge builder, skills lab and all three quizzes are passed a certification will be available.
- Project Members ages 19-21 are required to complete the online module training.
- Project members younger than 19 years old have the option to attend in-person trainings in other counties IF they are offered. Pre-registration is required for the event.
- In order for the MAP Committee to verify that you have completed the YQCA Training, you must submit a copy of your certificate to the Extension office by May 28, 2021. You may email your certificate to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or you may turn in a hard copy. Refer to MAP Calendar for due date.
YQCA Test Out Option
An online test out option for YQCA certifications is available. Youth can only take these tests when they are 12, 15 and 19 (on December 31 of the previous calendar year). The test has 50 questions and you need to answer 80% correctly to pass. Youth can only take the test ONCE at the beginning of the age group. If youth don’t pass, you must take the online course every year. The credit card is billed when the youth passes the test. To find the test out option, scroll to the bottom of the course list when you are logged into your YQCA account. Cost is $36.00. 15 -16 -17 -18: You can only take the test as 15 year old. Cost is $48.00 19 -20 -21: You can only take the test has a 19 year old. This is available for those who exhibit in breed shows until they reach the age of 21. Cost is $36.00.
2020-2021 Meat Animal Project Committee Members
|Beef Representative, Adult||Scott Keppen*, Vice Chair||920-988-2306|
|Beef Representative, Adult||Justin Thom, Chair||262-490-1313|
|Beef Representative, Youth||Morgan Bauer*||916-308-8933|
|Beef Representative, Youth||Anna Koehler*||920-728-6040|
|Sheep Representative, Adult||Karl Winkelman*||920-253-9541|
|Sheep Representative, Adult||Bob Knapp||920-988-5761|
|Sheep Representative, Youth||Ellie Winkelman*||920-261-8486|
|Sheep Representative, Youth||Dakota Knapp*||920-988-5761|
|Swine Representative, Adult||Rachel Thom, Treasurer||920-728-5144|
|Swine Representative, Adult||Scot Strauss*||920-988-8101|
|Swine Representative, Youth||MacKenzie Thom*, Reporter||920-723-7998|
|Swine Representative, Youth||Mackenzie (Mack) Mattke*||920-650-0297|
|Dairy Representative, Adult||Zach Tolzman|
|Dairy Representative, Youth||Lilly Kamenick||920-674-2487|
|Member-at-Large||Katelyn Thom*, Secretary||920-728-4561|
|FFA Representative||Brian Bauer*||916-308-8933|
|Business Representative||Cheryl Splinter*||262-490-3039|
* Terms expire in 2021.
The Extension Office works hard to update the data log when documents are turned in. This log is maintained to assist project members to know what documents they have turned in and what documents are still needed. If you have questions about or disagree with the information the data log contains, please contact the Extension Office at 920-674-7295 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .
MAP Committee Meeting Dates
The Meat Animal Project Committee meeting on the second Tuesday of the month at the Extension, Jefferson County Office (864 Collins Road in Jefferson) at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted or publicized. *Currently, all committee meetings are being held virtually via Zoom. Please watch your emails for links. Future Committee meeting dates are as follows:
- April 13, 2021 – In person at the Activity Center at the Fair Park. Must register to attend.
- May 11, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- June 22, 2021
- July 6, 2021
- August 17, 2021
2020-2021 MAP Project Calendar
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the restrictions placed by UW-Madison, please note that the programs and activities listed below may change as circumstances change. The MAP Committee and the Extension office will do their due diligence to communicate effectively and often if the 4-H year does not go as scheduled below. Please follow the Extension website and emails to get the most up-to-date information.
|April 13, 2021*||
Meats Judging Meeting (Carcass Point Opportunity), 6 p.m. via Zoom
*Link was sent out in Monday’s Clover Connection email to all 4honline.
|April 15, 2021||All 4-H project changes MUST be made in 4honline|
|April 17,2021||Project Learning Day, Fair Park, Jefferson|
|May 3, 2021||Sheep & Swine Project DNA & Project Agreement Forms Due to EXT by 4 pm|
|May 17, 2021||Sheep & Swine Recording Errors Due|
|May 11, 2021*||Record Book Training, 6 p.m. Extension Office|
|May 28, 2021||Point Cards, YQCA Certificate & Buyer Cards due to Extension Office by 4 p.m.|
|Early June 2021||Youth notified of sale eligibility by letter from MAP Committee.|
|June 11, 2021||Buyer Packets Mailed|
|July 6, 2021*||Grading, Weigh-ins & Ultrasound at Fair|
|July 6, 2021*||Required Exhibitor MAP Meeting, 7 pm, MAP Building|
|July 7-11, 2021*||Jefferson County Fair|
|July 10, 2021*||MAP Sale at Fair|
|July 20, 2021*||
MAP Awards Program, 6 p.m. at Fair Park
Thank You Notes Due; Committee elections
|September 1, 2021||Project Record Books due to Extension Office by 4 pm|
*Indicates that the program is currently scheduled for in-person but due to COVID-19 may need to move to virtual or be postponed or canceled.
- MAP 2020-21 Bylaws (pdf file) *Approved on October 13, 2020
- MAP 2020-2021 Handbook (pdf file) *Approved on October 13, 2020
** Note: Dates & project information in the handbook may not be updated due to COVID-19. Please check the calendar and refer to project communications for the most up to date information.)
- 2020-2021 Member Agreement (Seamless docs) – complete and submit online
Each youth participating in the Meat Animal Project for the 2020-2021 project year is required to earn educational points in order to be eligible to sell in the Youth Dairy and Livestock Sale at the 2021 Jefferson County Fair. Educational Point Card runs from June 1, 2020 – May 28, 2021. Please note the following:
- Completed educational point cards must be turned in by May 28, 2021 to the Extension Office by 4:00 pm. Point cards received in the drop box after 4 p.m. will be considered late.
- See Educational Point Card for point values.
- Please be sure that everything you put on the card is pre-approved, signed and legible. Dairy related clinics and judging do not count.
- Members in grades 3rd – 8th must earn at least four points.
- Members in grades 9th – 12th must earn at least six points.
- All members must be YQCA certified.
- All members must obtain one carcass educational point; grade 13 members are exempt.
- Grade 13 Project members are exempt from the educational point card requirements.
- Youth that serve on the MAP Committee are exempt from completing the educational point card but are still required to complete the mandatory points such as the carcass educational and YQCA certification.
- Dairy Judging, World Dairy Expo, Dairy Bowl and Project Animal Sales are a few items that are not included and do not count for points in the MAP Project.
- Signatures on Point Cards:
- All MAP Committee members may sign point cards. At MAP sponsored events, MAP Committee members will stamp point cards with the MAP approved stamp and initial/date the card at the end of the event.
- For any other even that is pre-approved, please have a presenter or coordinator from the event clearly print their name and sign it. We would appreciate them adding a phone number also so that the event may be verified.
- Herd Management: Signature should be a club project leader, club general leader or MAP Committee member that has verified requirements. A child’s parent may not sign their point card for herd management.
- MAP Committee adult members will verify points and signatures as cards are turned in at their next scheduled meeting.
- YQCA Certification is required to sell in the sale but is not required as a point requirement for the card/project.
- No youth should sign their own point card.
- Please complete this form for each educational opportunity you attend.
- Print it off and staple it to your point card.
Additional Committee Approved Educational Point Opportunities (Not listed on the Point Card)
The MAP Committee realizes that this project year is going to look different and that includes opportunities to obtain points. We are asking members to be checking their emails regularly as that will be our main avenue of communication. The Educational Subcommittee of the MAP Committee has worked hard to identify additional virtual point opportunities for project members. Below are the options that have been added:
- 3-5 Minute Project Video (1 point): Make a 3-5 minutes video of you talking about your animal project. You can film this video with or without your animal. Videos can be sent to the Extension Office.
Some prompts to help you get started…
- Introduce yourself. Include your name, grade/age, 4-H Club or FFA Chapter Name and the project your video is about
- Explain your daily routine with your animal.
- How do you care for your animal?
- What goals do you have for this project year?
- Talk about where you got your animal from.
- What do you enjoy about being in the beef project?
- What have you learned about the beef project in the past?
WYLP – Animal Science Educational Programs (Virtual): The Wisconsin Youth Livestock Program (WYLP), affiliated with the UW Madison Department of Animal & Dairy Sciences, College of Agricultural & Life Sciences, and the Division of Extension are excited to offer these educational programs for the winter/spring of 2020-2021. These activities are an opportunity for youth and adults to create awareness and increase skills in the animal sciences.
- December 3, 2020 – Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery Building Tour
- January 14, 2021 – Roaming the Rumen
- February 11, 2021 – Feeding & Caring for Swine without Ractopamine
- March 11, 2021 – Lamb Live & Carcass Evaluation
- April 8, 2021 – Artificial Intelligence in Animal Science
- May 13, 2021 – Meat Science Cookery
- Go to this link for further details.
- How do you record your participation?
- Complete a Virtual Educational Verification Form for each session you attend.
- Staple your form(s) to your point card.
- MAP Committee will review your forms and award points
- Project Workbook Lessons: Youth can complete a level for 1 point; maximum of 2 points. Lessons should be completed according to grade. Level 1 is for grades 3-5. Level 2 is for grades 6-8. Level 3 is for grades 9-12. Any specie (beef, sheep or swine) can be completed.
- How do you complete?
- Go to this link and print off the specie workbook level of interest.
- Complete the workbook.
- Staple the workbook (papers) to your point card.
- MAP Committee will review your workbook(s) and award points.
- How do you complete?
Events not listed on the point card must be pre-approved by the committee in order for them to count as points. Please contact the committee chairperson or the Extension Office before the monthly committee meeting to have your event approved. All educational points must be completed and approved by May 28, 2021.
Record books for the 2020-2021 project year are due by September 1, 2021. Please follow the below guidelines.
- A record book is a required document by active MAP members. Refer to the MAP Calendar for correct due date.
- A record book is required by each project member who weighs in an animal at the Jefferson County Fair.
- The required record book must be completed for the animal sold in the MAP Sale.
- If you did not sell in the 2021 MAP Sale, your record book can be completed for any animal you identified.
- Only one record book is required per exhibitor.
- Record books must be turned in complete.
- A record book less than 50% complete will be penalized with a late fee.
- If your record book is deemed 50% incomplete, the MAP Committee will review your record book as a committee. Members who turn in record books that are deemed incomplete will be penalized $100.
- Record books will be judged by adult committee members.
- Record books turned in after 4pm on due date will be considered a late document and penalized accordingly.
Record Books (All record books due to EXT Office by 4 p.m. on Sept. 1, 2021)
** Coming Soon **
- 2020-21 MAP Record Book (Word Document)
- 2020-21 MAP Record Book (pdf)
- 2020-21 MAP Record Book Fillable (pdf fillable)
**For a PDF fillable, please make sure to save the file first to your computer and then complete the record book.
Junior Livestock and Dairy Auction – Saturday, July 10, 2021
- Marketing Your Livestock Project: Guide for Youth and Families
- 2021 MAP Online Buyer Card
- 2021 Buyer Card 2021 (Printable)
- 2021 MAP Sale Brochure
- 2021 MAP Sale Catalog
THANK YOU TO OUR 2019 YOUTH LIVESTOCK & DAIRY AUCTION BUYERS!
|Advantage Mechanical||Gallitz Grading, Inc||Katzman Farms Inc||Probst Insurance Agency||Syngenta Seeds|
|American Family Insurance||Gaugert’s Mobil||Kauer Farms LLC||Property Services, Inc.||Tanis Construction|
|American Family Insurance||Generation Farms||KayCee||Randy Schopen Foundation||The Bill Stade Auction & Realty Co|
|Anew Insurance Agency Inc||Gericke Plumbing||KCR Farms||RE/MAX Shine||The Corral Trailer Sales|
|Anfang Farms LLC||Go-Sho Cattle Co||Ken Clark Family||Rick & Marilyn Leccese||The Scharine Group|
|ARYV||Grand Oaks Farm||Lake Mills Market||RMA Trucking||Theisen’s|
|Avoidance Acres||Griffin Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram||Lemke Milk Hauling||Robert Lemke Farm||Thompson & Company CPA’s|
|Awaken||Griffin Ford Lincoln||Lemke Motorsports||Robin’s Trucking||Tile Creations|
|Badger Basement Systems||Griffin Repair LLC||Lemke Trucking LLC||Rock River Plumbing LLC||TimPer Farms|
|Blue Diamond Family Dental||Ground Affects Landscaping Inc||LongView Grange Farm||Rock Valley Enterprises Inc||Topel’s Lakeside Park|
|Brantmeier Farm Hebron||Haberman Family||Luker’s Trucking||Ronald Ulsberger||Traub Chiropractic|
|C & I Vacuum Specialists, LLC||Haberman Investments LLC||Maas Brothers Construction||Ron’s Market||Tri County Dairy Supply|
|Classic Homes & Remodeling Inc||Havey Trucking||Matt Jablonski||Rosy Lane Holsteins LLC||TVL Trucking|
|Complete Feed Service LLC||Heideman’s Carpentry||Midwest Electric||Rural Mutual Insurance – Watertown||Universal Coop Assn|
|Concord General Store||Helenville Mutual Insurance Co||Milford Hills Hunt Club||Rural Mutual Insurance – Lake Mills||Wally’s Feed & Supply|
|D.D. Schultz Trucking LLC||HEPTA’s Inc.||Morris Farms LLC||Ryan’s Auto Care||Waterloo FFA Alumni|
|Dave’s Turf & Marine||Hi-Low Farm LLC||NASCO||S & R Egg Farm||Watertown Agribusiness Club|
|Delta Electric||Innerpak of Wisconsin||Neuberger, Griggs, Sweet & Schrier||Schneider-Michaelis Funeral Home LLC||Waupun Equipment Co Inc|
|Dettmann Dairy Farm||J & S Farms||Nitardy Funeral Home||Seven Star Farm||Whitetail Concrete LLC|
|Edward Jones – Jefferson||Jaeckel Bros Inc||Palmyra Storage||Shea T Acres||Whitewater Vet Clinic|
|Evenson Farms||Jeff Schopen||Partnership Bank / Bank First||Shorewest Realtors – Watertown||WI Milkcaps|
|Exact House LLC||Jefferson County AgriBusiness||Pernat’s Premium Meats||Smithback Farms / Pioneer Seeds||Wiedenfeld Dairy Farms|
|Festival Foods||Jefferson Current Electric||Pioneer Roofing LLC||Spangler Seedtech||Wyffels Seed|
|Fields Accounting & Tax LLC||Jefferson FFA Alumni||Pizza Pit of Lake Mills||Statz Farms / Statz Contracting||Zeeland Farm Services|
|First Weber – Sun Prairie||Jefferson Vet Clinic||Platinum Executive Realty||Stenjem Acres||Zick’s Auto Fix|
|Forward Mutual Insurance Co||JM Carpets||Premier Bank of Fort Atkinson||Sunshine Genetics|
|Frank Organic Feed & Supply||Jones Dairy Farm||Premiere Couture||Suzy’s Country Acres|
Previous Years Sale Brochures:
The next meeting of the Meat Animal Project Committee will be on Tuesday, April 13 at 7 p.m. Please see the agenda, minutes and treasurer report for the meeting below.
- April 13, 2021 Meeting Packet
- March 9, 2021 Meeting Packet
- February 9, 2021 Meeting Packet
- January 12, 2021 Meeting Packet
- December 8, 2020 Meeting Packet
- November 10, 2020 Meeting Packet
- October 13, 2020 Meeting Packet
Interested in becoming a sponsor for the Meat Animal Sale? Please contact Justin Thom, MAP Committee Chair at 262-490-1313 or anyone of the committee members.
We are currently looking for donations in support of animal trucking, brochure printing, meal tent rental and general sale donations.
The Meat Animal Project Committee receives educational support from the 4-H Youth Educator and the Extension Jefferson County Office, 864 Collins Road, Jefferson, WI 53549. When you have any questions regarding your meat animal project, contact one of the committee members or the Extension Office. The Extension office may choose to contact a committee member with your question. Your Extension contact is Kim at email@example.com or at 920-674-7297.