>>If you plan on using restricted use pesticides in your fields, you must be certified in Wisconsin.<<
The State of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection (DATCP) certification extensions will EXPIRE on December 31, 2021! Private and commercial pesticide applicators will need certification moving forward in 2022.
Once the manual is purchased, Pesticide Applicator Training is available in 3 different platforms, or you may choose the Self-Study option before testing. Certification is required if you plan to use restricted use pesticides in Wisconsin. To achieve this certification you have to purchase the General Farming Manual and take a test. Training is optional.
For 2022, recertifying applicators can purchase the General Farming Wisconsin Pesticide Applicator Training Manual for the Private Applicator (private category 100/101, 8th edition) either at the Jefferson County Office ($30) or through the online UW PAT Store.
TRAINING | OPTIONAL
In-person, Online or Zoom training will provide the education component required to secure the reduced grade (50% passing score on the test), otherwise you will be marked as a self-study test (70% passing score).
1. In-Person Training (& Test). Area in-person training sessions will be available in Jefferson, Dodge and Rock counties. Training cost is $10.00 per person. Testing will be done at the conclusion of the training.
- Dodge County | Wednesday, January 19, 2022 | 9 AM-3:30 PM |Juneau Community Center, 500 Lincoln Dr., Juneau, WI. Registration required. Call 920-386-3790. Cost $40 (manual & training).
- Jefferson County | Wednesday, February 2, 2022 | 9 AM-3:30 PM | Country Inn & Suites, Fort Atkinson | $40 cost | Stop in the Jefferson County Extension Office to register.
- Rock County | Tuesday, February 22, 2022 | 9 AM-3:30 PM | Janesville Conference Center, Janesville, WI | Registration required. Register at https://patstore.wisc.edu/secure/browse_cat.asp?categoary_id=30 . Cost $40 (manual & training).
2. Zoom Training (offered on specific and set dates) with Glenn Nice, PAT Program Manager.
- Registration is open, and is required.
- FREE to those who have purchased a General Farming Manual – 8th Edition (that has the registration form still intact!). Computer or smart phone and good Internet connection required.
Zoom Training Dates:
- December 7, 2021
- January 25, 2022
- February 15, 2022
- March 15, 2022
- April 5, 2022
Zoom trainings all start at 9 AM.
3. Online Training (static training and available at any time). General Farming Manual and registration is required. Online training is FREE in 2022 once you have purchased the manual. Online training can be taken either by computer or smart phone.
- Please block approximately 4 hours to complete the training. Attendance is mandatory, meaning once you start the training you will have to complete the training in one session. Two 15-minute breaks are built into the training.
- TO REGISTER FOR ONLINE TRAINING: Go to the UW PAT Store. [ https://patstore.wisc.edu/secure/browse_cat.asp?category_id=30]. Registration is open.
- Select General Farming 100/101.
- Online training cost is FREE in 2022, but you must register.
- Participant will be emailed a link and password to the training to gain access to the training.
- To assure attendance, code words provided in the training must be entered at the end to be marked as complete.
- The code words must be correct to take advantage of the reduced grade (50% passing score), otherwise you will be marked as a self-study test (70% passing score).
>>Those wishing to be certified in Fruit Crops or Greenhouse & Nursery, can take the General Farming training, but then take the exam for those specialized categories.<<
TESTING || For Zoom Training, Online Training, or Self-Study
For a full FIVE-YEAR CERTIFICATION, you will need to take the exam in person at the Jefferson Extension office, who will proctor the exam.
- Zoom and On-Line training will provide the education component required to secure the reduced 50% passing score on the test. If you choose the Self-Study option (no training) the minimum passing score is 70%.
- When taking the in-person exam you will have to provide your certificate with the PAT number to the test proctor (i.e. Extension office) to have your certification processed. If you purchased a book this comes in your manual. If you purchased a pdf or online course, then you will receive it via email.
- Call the Extension Jefferson County office to schedule an exam at 920-674-7295.
WDATCP Websites, PACS, and Contact Info:
- Pesticide certification and licensing information
- Find pesticide products registered for use in WI
- Locate WI licensed dealers and licensed application businesses
- Find WI certified applicators (by name, by county, by category)
PAT Websites and Contact Info
- Information on manuals, training, and the different categories.
- Commercial applicators may order training manuals, videos, register for sessions
- Private applicators may order the Fruit Crops and Greenhouse & Nursery manuals, and the subcategory manuals (General Farming manual only from Extension office)