Jefferson County Horse & Pony Project welcomes all 4-H members to join and learn and ride with us! Our “Project” is our horses (and see below- you don’t even have to have a horse to participate!), and we demonstrate what we are learning all year long by showing at County Fair. We grow in horsemanship and leadership and teamwork, striving to be a friendly welcoming group of horse-crazy kids, and the adults who help make things happen.
Horseless Horse: You do not need to own your own horse to belong at JCHP! “Horseless Horse” is an exciting part of JCHP that is designed to give kids who don’t own/borrow/lease a horse a chance to participate in the Horse Project, including showing at Jefferson County Fair. HH kids tend to be beginners, with less experience and ability and they share a horse with a designated “Buddy”- another Project member, who is a more experienced horse owner owner/borrower/leaser and is expected to be working with the HH member throughout the year to teach them the basics on care, handling, showmanship, riding, safety, horse behavior and to assist them with improving their ability to handle the animal safely and with confidence. At Jefferson County Fair, HH members and their buddies share one horse in one stall. HH members can show their horses in Horseless Horse Showmanship and Horseless Horse Walk/Trot riding classes, and may show at a walk or trot in the fun classes. No cantering/loping is allowed.
When you are either a traditional (horse owner) or a “managerial” (horse borrower or leaser) member, you are responsible financially and physically for the care, maintenance and development of the horse. At Fair, you may show in whatever classes suit your age and abilities. If you enter as a walk/trot exhibitor, you may only walk/trot in all classes, including the fun speed classes. Traditional and Managerial members who are more experienced riders are encouraged to help out by taking on the role of “Buddy” to a Horseless Horse member.
Please email JCHPChair@gmail.com if you are a HH kid or would like to volunteer as a buddy.
Chair– Jenn Olson (Adult); Lauren Hanson (Youth)
Vice Chair– Terri Besch (Adult), Bella Mitchell (Youth)
Secretary– Erica Neis (Adult), Gemma Leisgang (Youth)
Treasurer– Lori Hogan (Adult), Rylie Neis (Youth)
Reporter– Nancy Leisgang (Adult), Celia Olson (Youth)
At Large Members– Julie Lohman (Adult), Angela Mitchell (Adult), Mary Grace Lohman (Youth), Kiana Mitchell (Youth)
Ambassador- Ava Armstrong
Countywide Meetings for all Youth Members in the Horse and Horseless horse projects. Meetings are generally held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at the Fair Park Activity Center in Jefferson. There is no Countywide Meetings in the months of July, September, November and December.
- April 2023 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- March 2023 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- February 2023 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- January 2023 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- December 2022 – No Countywide meeting held
- November 2022 – No Countywide meeting held
- October 2022 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- September 2022 – No Countywide meeting held
- August 2022 – Banquet – no minutes
- July 2022 – No Countywide meeting held
- June 2022 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- May 2022 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- April 2022 Countywide Minutes
- March 2022 JCHP Countywide Minutes
- February 2022 Countywide Minutes
- January 2022 Countywide Minutes
- Committee Meetings for the Adult and Youth Board Members are held every month on the 1st Tuesday of the month
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes May 2023 (draft)
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes April 2023
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes March 2023
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes February 2023
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes January 2023
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes December 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes November 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes October 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes September 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes August – No meeting held
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes July
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes June
- May 5 2022 Committee Meeting Minutes
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes April 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes March 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes February 2022
- JCHP Board Meeting Minutes January 2022
Tack Sale: Thank you for a great 2023 sale!
See you in 2024! Mark your calendars, January 21, 2024 – Vendor registration will open on November 1, 2024.
Vaccine Clinic 2023: March 18, 2023. Email email@example.com to sign-up. Must be pre-registered.
May Clinic: May 28, 2023 – Watch your emails for sign-ups! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Open Pleasure & Speed Horse Shows: May 29, 2023
For show bill, please go to https://www.jchp-wi.org/
Jefferson County Fair: July 12-16, 2023
To-Do at Home
Explore raising and showing horses while developing life skills here!
Horse Education – Horse Education Quizlet Lessons
Monday Night Lessons/Fun Night: Optional educational opportunities for members to meet at Fair Park with or without horses to learn and ride together.
a. May 1st at 6:30pm at the Fair Park indoor arena – no horses. We’ll go over safety rules and guidelines. Bring Coggins!
– Coggins will be required at your first MNL and will be kept on file.
– Horseless Horse youth are welcome, as well as any other youth without their horse present.
b. May 8th – desensitizing with Sarah Seefeldt
c. May 15th – jumping with Sherry Davis and Cheyenne Johnson
d. May 22nd – Cailyn Schave Taschek (likely a focus on equitation)
e. June – working on a Monday Night Lessons for speed – Stay tuned!
4-H Drill Team: contact JCHPChair@gmail.com to register your interest! Practices start on May 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the Fair Park. Please arrive 30 minutes early with horses.
Horse Education: An optional meeting where members learn about horses and have the opportunity to compete against each other and potentially in the Statewide Horse Bowl contest. Practice and test your horse knowledge here: Horse Education Quizlet Lessons
Mission statement : The Jefferson County Horse & Pony Ambassador program strives to provide an opportunity to practice advanced leadership skills related to mentoring other project youth and to represent and promote the 4-H Horse program for public relations purposes at county and state events.
Equine Ambassador Program Details
JCHP Equine Ambassador Application– Application due on March 1, 2024.
Current Ambassador- Ava Armstrong (2022-2023)
Kiana Mitchell (2021-2022)
Hailey Besch (COVID Ambassador 2020-2021)
Virginia Klecker (2019-2020)
Micah Yaeggi (2018-2019)
Kayla Donaldson (2017‐2018)
Melissa Melcher (2016‐2017)
Destiny Donaldson (2015-2016)
Natalie Ciciva (2014-2015)
Holly Graffin (2013-2014)
Amanda LePak (2012-2013)
Amanda French (2011-2012)
Caitlin Finger (2010-2011)
Morgan Endl (2009-2010)
Jason Kissner (2008‐2009)
JCHP Handbook & By-Laws
JCHP Constitution & Bylaws – JCHP Constitution and Bylaws 2021 Draft (will be approved at Jan. 2022 Countywide)
4H State Expo and Gymkhana Eligibility
Poster, Speech and Photography Guidelines
JCHP Scholarship Form (to print)
JCHP Scholarship Form (pdf fillable)